Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Stolen Post.. AKA What Athenae Said

"Your Old Road is Rapidly Aging
So get out of the new one if you can't lend your hand:
In comments to the ombudsman’s call-in line (202.334.7582), one reader said, “the picture of two guys kissing makes me cringe.” Another called it “ridiculous,” adding: “Put it on page 10 or page four, put it in the paper, but I do not like it right there where I can’t avoid looking at it.”

Many threatened to cancel their Post subscriptions, and more than two dozen did. Post circulation vice president Gregg Fernandes said that late last week 27 subscribers canceled, specifically citing the photo. In contrast, The Post reported only two cancellations immediately after last July’s ethics uproar over its ill-advised plan to sell sponsorships to off-the-record “salon” dinners at the publisher’s residence.


Did the Post go too far? Of course not.

Damn right. Fuck 'em. Fuck 'em with very gay penises, right in their faces where they don't want things shoved. And double-fuck all of 'em who wrote in saying things like, "I have kids, you know."

One called me to complain about “promoting a faggot lifestyle.” Another complained about the photo in an e-mail to the two Post reporters who wrote Thursday’s story about the licenses: “That kind of stuff makes normal people want to throw up. People have kids who are being exposed to this crap. I will be glad when your rag goes out of business. Real men marry women.”


Emphasis mine. I swear, there are a lot of things that drive me wild about the politics of modern parenting but one major thing is this: Your kids are not your excuse to be a total blowhole assface of a human being.

Your kids are not to blame for your politics. Your kids are not to blame for your decisions. Your kids are not to blame for any way in which you choose to live your life. Your kids are your kids, and they're people, and I know this is me saying this, childless whore, etc. And I'm not saying having children can't inform your worldview. I'm saying own your worldview as YOURS, instead of hiding behind your children's blankies and pretending you can't help yourself.

Jesus H. Gentle Cycle Christ, I hate this. Like, how are we to suppose this works, that you used to be a fair and decent person but then you had a kid and decided, "You know, white sheets look fucking good on me now!" You had a kid and then went, "Hmm, suddenly ladies kissing each other is just not on!" Bullshit. You always felt this way, and now you can justify it with somebody who is more into playing with blocks or reading comic books than realizing his parents are total assholes.

Problem is, he won't always be too into his own stuff to notice yours. So won't it be fun for junior to read someday that you used to be a good person and now you suck, and he was the line between before and after? And not only do you suck, but you're such a stupendous pussy that you can't even give yourself credit for the decision to suck, you've got to shove it off on him? Isn't that charming? Do these people listen to themselves?

You wanna be a bigot? You wanna hate gay people? You wanna wax redneck in the pages of the Post about faggot lifestyles and shoving things down people's throats? YOU DO THAT THEN. You just go do it. You go and do that all on your own, slick. You go and do that because YOU want to do it, you stupid motherfucker. You go and do that because you've taken a good long hard look in the mirror and decided that writing pissy letters to the paper about how you don't like reality anymore is the best way to spend your time. You do that because being a bigot is what you want to be.

Leave your children out of it.

Via Balloon Juice.

A."

I don't think I could say it better myself. This is the real world where real things happen and if we can't take the responsibility of educated our children to understand that fact, then we're not being good parents. I know growing up I got a lot of racism and hate speech from my parents, but they always made a comment about "that's how they were raised" or some other such pandering nonsense. But they didn't hide behind sheltering me as an excuse to hold these beliefs. If anything, they made sure to distinguish things that they said and knew were wrong so that I could realize that I didn't have to think that way to be a good person.

I'm just very very tired of tiny groups of people that believe they're the majority getting the press to follow them like little puppies. These people are assholes, they don't deserve the trumpet of the Post or CNN or any serious news affiliate. Go on Fox news if you want to. At least then I'll know you're full of shit and just laugh at how stupid you are.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot, the above post came from here originally.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Incredible commentary.

For me personally, having a child makes me want to be even more vocal about how wrong these double-standards and inequalities are. I don't want him growing up in a world where being gay is still taboo or where same-sex couples don't have equal rights. That just seems so... incredibly stupid. Much like all the racist bullshit our parents raised us with seems off-color (no pun intended) to us. I'll never understand why acceptance and adversity is so difficult for some people.