Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Ibsen vs. Technology

Well the title for this is a bit misplaced, but I'll get to that. I saw two more films yesterday. I saw Technolust, a sci-fi-esk take on reproduction and Enemy of the People, a remake of Ibsen's classic play of the same title. I have to admit, I was expecting great things from both of these films and I was a bit let down.
Technolust-
This film had two major flaws... one that the technology explained wasn't explained well enough to actually make sense particularly because it was based on bullshit. Second problem, you couldn't tell if the film was supposed to be a comedy or just really cheesy bad sci-fi.
The film was about a woman that figured out some way to make self replicating human cells by somehow making a program that was able to build tissue or some crap like that. The major flaw here was that she used her own DNA and these beings needed to inject human reproductive fluid(sperm) in order to stay alive and keep replicating. This was of course how the plot was expected to be interesting because in order to harvest the sperm, the one cloned woman had to actually go out and get some action with eighty red condoms. Where in the mind of this woman this bullshit came from is beyond me, but being someone that works in technology, it was really annoying watching them holding a PCI card like it was some magical piece of technology(I think it was a video card) and talking about scanning people's hard drives for some virus, which was another stupid cheesy thing, she had the men that slept with this clone sprout barcodes on their foreheads and become impotent. Of course once the clone found the virus and removed it, magically these men were just cured. Basically, this would be a good cheesy movie to laugh at, if it were able to be taken seriously enough to want to watch it. In other words, this film was bad, bad bad and the concept was stupid and the writing was poor and I appreciate that what's her name was the White Witch in Narnia, but she sort of sucked, esp. since she put more into creating the clone characters(that were all about the same though the film claimed otherwise) and very little into the actual human character she played. Yeah, I hated this movie. I don't think I smiled the entire flim.

Enemy of the People
All I can say from this film is wow! They were pretty much dead on. Now if you aren't familiar with Ibsen, this movie might appear slow boring and a bit too depressing to watch, but if you are familiar, you know this is not only standard fair, but exactly what Ibsen wrote. Set in Norway, this film modernized the classic Ibsen to make it more relevant to today. The plot changes(like making the good Dr. Stockmann a nutritionist on a reality TV show that exposes corporations) helped define the characters and reinvent their purpose. Changing the baths to bottling water was also a stroke of brilliance. I could go on and on about how well this was put together, even down to the production of Peer Gynt in the movie that was done as a one man show. If you like Ibsen, or had to suffer through it for school like I did, go see this movie, you will enjoy the hell out of it. If you don't know Ibsen or have never read this play, read it first. I know it's long and boring, but read it first, then you'll really enjoy this film. I have to add to this, big kudos to all of the actors in the film. I cared about all of these people as the film progressed. The relationships were wonderful and the story telling was top notch. This film is about hope and how fleeting it can be and at the end of this film, I felt the hopelessness, the injustice, the rage, it was by far the most accurate portrayal of human life and a true tribute to a man who made theatre real again.

No comments: